Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Reports to: State Field Director, Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates
The Centre County Field Organizer position is a temporary, grant-funded position. It is a full-time non-exempt position funded through December 2018. The position will be based in State College, Pennsylvania.
Who we are: Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve over 100,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
Centre County Field Organizer: As a member of the Statewide Public Policy team, the Centre County Field Organizer is responsible for supporting state and national Planned Parenthood campaigns for reproductive rights through activities related to 501(c)(4) and some 501(c)(3) grassroots outreach and advocacy volunteer management. The Organizer’s goal is to increase public awareness of Planned Parenthood’s legislative, educational, and advocacy efforts and activate volunteers to support that work in State College, at Penn State University, and in the greater Centre Region. This position will help expand the grassroots Planned Parenthood network in Centre County to create a long-lasting and sustainable environment for reproductive rights advocacy.
- Commitment to reproductive health and rights for all Pennsylvanians, and to Planned Parenthood’s mission to protect access to safe and legal abortion, access to essential health care and comprehensive sexual education, equality for PA women and LGBTQA residents, and equity for people of color, immigrants, those economically disadvantaged, and people living with physical or mental disabilities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Well organized. Pervious organizing experience preferred but not required.
- Highly Self-motivated and ability to work remotely
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to organize and multi-task in a fast paced environment to set and achieve short and long term goals
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Outgoing personality with a desire to engage underrepresented populations through campus engagement and grassroots community organizing tactics
- Commit to at least 40 hours a week (schedule varies), including weekends and evenings
- Must have access to a car and ability to travel
- Extensive computer skills, including competency in Microsoft Office software, Internet, Google Drive platform and social media
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit for, plan, and participate in a range of 501(c)(4) grassroots advocacy activities in Centre County including on Penn State University Main Campus
- Connect with existing community and Penn State campus groups, as well as outreach to University professors, campus and community leaders, and supportive businesses
- Activate student leaders into Planned Parenthood Advocacy volunteers and volunteer leaders to build broad and visible support for Planned Parenthood’s mission
- Work closely with Penn State’s Planned Parenthood Generation Action chapter
- Recruit and supervise campus advocacy interns
- Use social media to reach potential leaders, broadcast a unified message about organizing and advocacy and showcase the work done by youth organizers
- Develop and implement grassroots outreach strategies that meet the needs and interests of residents in Centre County • Support national and state based campaigns
- Provide a visible campus presence for Planned Parenthood by actively seeking opportunities for Planned Parenthood to increase its public presence
- Represent Planned Parenthood at community and campus events
- Maintain activist database (The VAN) to track supporters, volunteers, and events, and use data to identify strategic ways to engage supporters
- Ensure a culture that embraces diversity, fair and respectful treatment of all persons, and customer-focused delivery throughout the organization
- Ensure completion of required annual training
Physical Demands and Work Environment
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Successfully meeting the physical demands listed below are also essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Continuous ability to read, speak, hear and see
- Occasional exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals
- Infrequent exposure to outside weather, and heat or cold conditions
- Continuous exposure to moderate no noise level
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject Line “State College Organizer.” PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, individuals of color, and young people are encouraged to apply!