Interested in helping to teach a Sociology course at Penn State?  I am currently accepting applications from undergraduate students interested in working with me as teaching assistants in my SOC 5 (Social Problems) class in Fall 2017 and Spring 2018.  The Sociology and Criminology department offers TA positions as a way for students in any major to deepen their understanding of a course topic and to learn how to facilitate others’ learning.  Serving as a TA is also an ideal way to develop working relationships with faculty and to expand your professional network.

The minimal requirements for a TA position for SOC 5 are:

1. Completion of SOC 5 with a B+ or above
  2. Completion of 32 Credits (3rd semester standing)
  3. Overall GPA of 3.2 or above

TAs in our department earn 3 credits per semester (with a maximum of two semesters allowed).  You should anticipate that serving as a TA will take up about the same amount of time as a regular 3 credit class.

If you are interested in this opportunity for either Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 please send me an email so I can give you more information about the position and answer any questions you have.  Also complete the TA application form and send a scanned copy to me via email or drop off a paper copy in Oswald Tower 206. Once your eligibility is confirmed I’ll contact you so that we can make sure that this TA position will be a good fit for you.

Thanks for considering this opportunity and I hope we can work together in the near future.

Professor Ahlkvist
Oswald 1015
Jua22@psu.edu

For more information including other TA opportunities in Sociology, TA guidelines, & more, visit the Department of Sociology and Criminology website. Courses that frequently need TAs include: SOC 1, SOC 5, SOC/CRIM 12, CRIM 100, & more. Application materials for TA positions in Sociology can be submitted to Amy Schmoeller als63@psu.edu.